Another stopped brew...

AdznKiAdznKi Member Posts: 8
Hi Guys, Happy New Year to you all!!!

I've currently got a Better Brew Export Lager in the FV. It has been in since 18/12/15 and the instructions state that it should be in the FV for ten days, at which point the SG should be 1008 or less. The ten days where up on the 28/12/15 (obviously), which was last Monday. However, the SG is only at 1012.

Now, the brew has been kept at a constant 20-22C and there is still pressure in the FV (bulging lid) although i can see no other signs of continuing fermentation (no bubbling air lock nor rising tiny bubbles in the brew).

What should I do, just bottle anyway or leave it even longer or re-pitch more yeast, if so what yeast???

All advice appreciated to help out this newbie!!! Thanks again.

Comments

• BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Takes the reading again today, and see if it has changed.

If it has changed, give it more time.

It it is the same, its probably done.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It sounds as though it is very close to complete, fermentation times can vary a little so if in doubt give it another couple of days and see if drops any further, if it si kept in the early 20 degrees C or so and the reading does not then change you can go ahead and transfer to bottles or a barrel.

We have made this Better Brew Export Lager a couple of times and it was really great, we found the flavour lacked for a few weeks but once left for a few more weeks it developed into a fantastic lager, and we will definitely make it again
  • AdznKiAdznKi Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for your advice guys.

I ordered this brew after seeing you speak highly of this kit previously HBO.

On the Saturday evening after posting the original post (Friday), the brew started bubbling again, quite strongly in actual fact! Seemed strange to me but I've left it to continue. Today, again it seems to have stopped, so I'm going to check the SG, fingers crossed it will have reduced.
  • AdznKiAdznKi Member Posts: 8
    how long would you recommend it be left to 2nd ferment in bottles?
  • BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Absolute minimum 3 weeks.

Ideally the first full week at room temperature, and then in the cold (outside or fridge) for a further 2 weeks at least.

Really the longer you can leave it the better, ideally 4-6 weeks if you can be that patient and anything plus is a bonus.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    If it has started to bubble again then it is not quite completed, leave it longer to make sure it has completely finished the fermentation (especially important if bottling), try to keep it warm and gently stir if needed (but you will need to leave it settle again for a few days before bottling if you stir it up). We agree with Budforce, as long as possible, after 3 weeks it may have cleared and carbonated but the flavours wont have fully developed to their best - you could try a bottle and see what it is like though. With the Better Brew lager we left ours for a few months (in the dark or away from UV light) and the flavours it developed were really great, it got much better and for an ingredient at the lower end of the price scale it could give some of the more expensive kits some serious competition