Options

Couple of questions from a noobie

barogbarog Member Posts: 1
Howdy,

I'm interesting in trying out this hobby and was going to go for the complete kit for Coopers lager - linked below - I had a couple of questions mostly related to whether I can get this past the Mrs.

Sorry for the elementary questions, I couldn't find all the answers.

1 - I'm guessing this has to be kept inside during the process unless I have some sort of outside heater (I don't - just a shed full of fishing and garden gear) - is this correct?

2 - How much does it smell if I wanted to keep the whole process in our (relatively small) house?

3 - Am I correct in assuming that about from the initial mixing and the final bottling process the remainder is just having a big fat barrel standing somewhere? i.e. for most of the process she'll just have to stare at a barrell which won't produce any additional mess.

Thanks in advance

Bonus questions - does the lager such as below get carbonated somehow? Is there a pilsner lager version of the below kit (I couldn't find one)?

Many thanks

http://www.home-brew-online.com/starter-kits-c47/beer-lager-c50/home-brew-online-home-brew-online-complete-kit-with-coopers-lager-p838

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Hello and welcome.

1 - I'm guessing this has to be kept inside during the process unless I have some sort of outside heater (I don't - just a shed full of fishing and garden gear) - is this correct?

Correct, on the assumption you live in the UK, during the winter months you would not be able to brew in an unheated area (such as a shed) without a heating solution. Further to that I think you would really struggle even in the summer months without artificial heating.

2 - How much does it smell if I wanted to keep the whole process in our (relatively small) house?

Pass, I brew in my garage and can confirm that it does smell a little, I wouldn't consider it to be partocularly string or penetrating, particularly with the lid on, but I have never brewed indoors.

3 - Am I correct in assuming that about from the initial mixing and the final bottling process the remainder is just having a big fat barrel standing somewhere? i.e. for most of the process she'll just have to stare at a barrell which won't produce any additional mess.

Pretty much, although with any brew there is a possibility of the yeast getting a little over excited and spilling over the lid, therefore I would make sure that the fermentation barrel is placed in a position where if it does spill over, it wont ruin anything (expensive carpet etc).

Thanks in advance

Bonus questions - does the lager such as below get carbonated somehow? Is there a pilsner lager version of the below kit (I couldn't find one)?

Yes, once primary fermentation is done, you will need to either bottle or keg the brew. In either case that will airtight, and you need to add carbonation drops or sugar. The beer will go to what is called secondary fermentation and ferment a little more, but as it is now airtight, the co2 produced from the fermenting process can no longer escape and therefore carbonated your beer.

Many thanks

Your welcome.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA