Options

Yeast , To stir or not to stir ?

CJayCJay Member Posts: 10
Im now going to start my second brew . The first tastes great but seems although theres no "umph" in it , it tastes a bit weak . I notice on this kit it states that i should stir in the yeast , the first kit just said to sprinkle on top and said nothing about stirring . Would this make any difference ? Is there any hard and fast rule about adding yeast ? Any advice would be great , Thanks

Comments

• Options
    HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    It does vary but the main thing is to ensure the yeast contacts the liquid and not just froth so that it starts to ferment as quickly as possible, and you try to keep the temperature in the recommended range. You can give it a gently stir in but they don't always suggest to, some say to mix the yeast into a solution first but if you are not sure then just sprinkle it on and give it a gentle stir.

If the taste is a little lacking then there are two things, firstly give it more time time to condition as the flavours will usually develop and improve with time, secondly use as good a quality ingredients as you can afford, if making a 1 tin ingredients refill then using Brew Enhancer instead of sugar will give the beer more body, flavour and taste.
  • Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Assuming you used a kit, which one did you use for your first brew?

Some are defiantely better than others.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    My first brew was nelsons revenge .
    Ive just started a london porter , I did give this one a stir when i added the yeast as it states .
    I have been monitoring the temp where its going to ferment and its been at a constant 22c .
    When they say mix the yeast in a solution , just with water ?
  • Options
    You could mix it with water but you'd need to keep it all sterile plus the water temp would need to be right otherwise may slow it down or kill the yeast all together if too hot.

I've brewed for a year now and always just tip the yeast on the top and forget about it and never really had a issue.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Have you just sprinkled it on top of the froth ?
  • Options
    Yeah I just wang it right on top of the froth normally, always seems to work for me.