Carbonating Hard Cider

ptubbptubb Member Posts: 2
Hi folks,

This is my first Cider brew and I have a quick question on Carbonating the hard cider. When adding some sugar to sweeten the hard cider, will be adding Sugar Syrup, (approx 36ml to a 500ml bottle), to a hard cider that has now been maturing for 6 weeks. Will I need to add carbonating drops (Coopers) as well or will this sugar content be enough to carbonate the cider.

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    edited November 2015
    There are a few factors that determine how carbonated a brew will be, with your homemade cider any fermentable sugar you add will ferment and produce carbonation. How carbonated it will get depends on the amount of sugar and also how much yeast is left in the liquid, if fermentation stopper was added at the end of fermentation this will stop carbonation too.

Once you add the sugar syrup store the bottles somewhere warm for a week to help it ferment, then you can move it somewhere a few degrees cooler, as a precaution always store the bottles safely out of the way just in case they were to be over-carbonated
  • ptubbptubb Member Posts: 2
    Thank you great input and advise
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    One other thing, if you use PET plastic bottles for your brew you can keep a check on them as they will firm up as carbonation builds, this is just a way to check they are carbonating, if they bulge to show they are over-pressurised then you may need to carefully release a little