Options

Youngs American Pale Ale stalled at 1.014

Mattleeds34Mattleeds34 Member Posts: 10
This is my 8th brew this year and previously I have experienced no problems with stalled batches. I have also done a Youngs American IPA which basically went by the book: 11 days in FV , added hops then bottled on day 14 FG 1.01. So I am at a loss why my current batch has stalled. It reached 1.014 by around day 8 and has stayed there ever since. I tried gently stirring it on day 12 but we are now on day 15 and no change. I've not yet added the hops so should I do that then bottle in a couple of days or should I wait a while longer?? Cheers. Oh and the temp is a constant 20/22.

Comments

• Options
    BUDFORCEBUDFORCE Member Posts: 275
    Its probably done. Is the liquid verly clear and is there a layer of sediment on the bottom and no yeast left at the top? When it was brewing did you get a nice thick yeast layer on top? If so, taste it and it should taste like beer just flat, if it smells, looks and tastes OK probably OK.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Now I'm paranoid! I tested it this morning before adding the hops and it smells different....I just hope I didn't infect it when stirring it ! I added them anyway and plan to bottle it Saturday... I'll post the results...cheers !
  • Options
    Did it smell strongly of vinigar? I've yet to have a brew go bad but apparently this is how you tell. I'm sure it is fine though.
    Beer League: 1. Young's - American Pale Ale 2. Bulldog Brews - Imperial Red Bad Cat 3. Young's - IPA 4. Young's - American Amber Ale 5. Bulldog Brews - Evil Dog Double IPA
  • Options
    Tried another sample last night - the hops are already masking any dodgy smell ;-) Unless there is green mould it's going to get bottled !
  • Options
    BeervaiBeervai Member Posts: 16
    I just bottled my young's American Pale ale it took about 21 days to reach the 1.010. (then followed by two days of dry hoping) It also seemed to be stuck around the 1.014 mark for quite a long time. I know it says it only needs 15 days but from my previous admittedly small experience the instructions are incorrect on the times required.

My previous two brews (a st peters ale and a coopers mexican) did not reach the expected final gravity even though i followed the instructions exactly on the first and increased the first fermenting time on the second brew. The St peters turned out quite drinkable despite not hitting the target FG, so I hope your APA should be fine too

I'm pretty excited about the youngs apa kit though as it had a nice flavor (if a little green) at bottling. Now an agonizing 2 weeks of secondary and 4 weeks of cold storage to go.. ;-)
  • Options
    Beervai said:

I just bottled my young's American Pale ale it took about 21 days to reach the 1.010. (then followed by two days of dry hoping) It also seemed to be stuck around the 1.014 mark for quite a long time. I know it says it only needs 15 days but from my previous admittedly small experience the instructions are incorrect on the times required.

My previous two brews (a st peters ale and a coopers mexican) did not reach the expected final gravity even though i followed the instructions exactly on the first and increased the first fermenting time on the second brew. The St peters turned out quite drinkable despite not hitting the target FG, so I hope your APA should be fine too

I'm pretty excited about the youngs apa kit though as it had a nice flavor (if a little green) at bottling. Now an agonizing 2 weeks of secondary and 4 weeks of cold storage to go.. ;-)

I will challenge you to come back on these forums in 6 weeks and say on here that it isnt one of the best beers you have every had.
  • Options
    Heh, well I got it on your recommendation. Even at bottling it smelt and tasted pretty good so I'm sure you're correct. Totally sold on dry hoping addition, certainly adds a bit of wow to the kit.

I think my favorite brew is adnams ghostship so something close to that would be the holy grail.
  • Options
    Well I bottled it on the 6th 18 days in the FV (2 days dry hopping). It seems ok - the couple of clear bottles I've filled already look like they are clearing nicely. I'll give them a couple of weeks then try it. Onto my next one which is the Coopers Irish Ale using the Coopers Draught Kit and some golden syrup.....
  • Options
    Just had a bottle.

Its not bad at all. Got an interesting smell to it as well. It kind of reminds me of one of the badger ales as they have that kind of citrus/floral taste (couldn't say which one though as I've tried so many hehe) Although this APA seems to have a sort of smokiness to it, which is pleasant.

Next to brew once I've bottled the wine kit i've got on the go (and after i've checked to see if i'll have enough empty bottles ) is the festival new zealand pilsner.
  • Options
    Tbh I've been a little disappointed with mine..Deffo not as good as the AIPA . Don't get me wrong it's drinkable but compared to the others I've done recently it's not the best..maybe leaving it longer in the bottles will improve it :-) As it's getting cooler I've put on a Coopers European Lager to see what it's like....