Batch Priming

LgAshLgAsh Member Posts: 14
Being relatively new to home brewing, I've only used cabonation drops so far to prime my brews. I now want to batch prime. Once fermentation is complete and I've transfered the brew to a secondary FV and added the priming sugar and given it a good stir, how long should i wait before bottling? Can I bottle straight away or do I need to leave it for an hour or so first?

Comments

• HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    The most important thing when batch priming is that the sugar has dissolved and is evenly mixed into the brew, a finer sugar such as brewing sugar will dissolve more easily than say granulated white sugar, and temperature may have an effect, but just make sure it is fully dissolved
  • LgAshLgAsh Member Posts: 14
    Thanks. I'll be using fine brewing sugar or maybe spraymalt to prime the brew. Stupid question but how will I know when it's fully dissolved?
  • HBO_StaffHBO_Staff Administrator Posts: 2,115
    They are quite fine so will usually mix in quickly, once dissolved you shouldn't be able to see it but if in doubt leave it a bit, perhaps an hour or so, then bottle as usual. We think the best way though can be to mix the sugar with a little hot water to make a solution which then fully dissolves so you know it is all mixed in, then add this to the barrel and then syphon the brew over, or if bottling add to the vessel and stir in, then bottle as usual